Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shepherd's Pie


I love shepherd's pie! I didn't really grow up eating it, but my husband did, so I set out to find a good recipe when we started dating. I try to avoid cream-of-whatever soups, but it really does make the recipe. If you make this up and bake it all at once, it is a bit time consuming. I prefer to make it the night before and just bake it when I get home. This makes a great post-baby delivery or potluck contribution.


Adding a good quantity of onion and mushroom to the meat layer really adds some bulk to the meat layer, without adding calories. You don't even really taste the mushrooms. Finely chopped, they blend in texture wise and take on the flavour of the meat.


Ingredients:

Meat layer:


  • 1lb of ground meat (I used lamb this time and it was AMAZING! But beef or turkey would do)

  • 1 medium onion, chopped

  • 1 tbsp crushed garlic

  • 1lb of mushrooms, chopped

  • 1 can of low-fat cream of mushroom soup

  • 1/3 c. ketchup (I used the Heinz spicey for a little extra kick!)

  • 1 tsp thyme

  • s&p

Veg Layer:


  • I used fresh carrots (steamed) and canned peas, but you can use what ever fresh or frozen veg mix you like

Potato Layer:


  • Potatoes

  • Milk

  • Butter (or low fat sour cream or greek yogurt)

  • s&p

  • Low fat shredded cheddar

  • Paprika

Directions:


  1. Spray a large, deep rectangular baking dish. Preheat over at 350 F.

  2. Put potatoes on to boil while you do step 3.

  3. In a skillet, soften the chopped onion and mushrooms. Add ground meat and brown. Once the meat is cooked, stir in the remaining ingredients for the meat layer. Spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.

  4. Layer mixed vegetables.

  5. By now, the potatoes are done cooking. Mash them and add whatever ingredients you add to your very best mashed pots. I like to add a little bit of extra liquid, so the baking doesn't dry them out. Spread the potatoes over the veg mixture.

  6. Top with a little grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika.

  7. Bake at 350 F for 30 mins. Let is sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. I can never wait that long, so it just ends up looking a mess on my plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment